"Kamitamizaka Church of Christ, Tokyo, Japan - in front of old building about 1911 - Bishops in fourth row - probably the Klingmans behind them." A large group portrait of the congregation from the Kamitomizaka Church of Christ in front of their original church building. The church was begun by J. M. McCaleb, a missionary from the a cappella Churches of Christ, in 1893 and the building pictured completed in 1896. The congregation used the building until the early 1920s when it became too dangerous to use. They completed a new building in June 1924. William J. Bishop is seated next to his second wife, Clara, in the center of the fourth row. Behind them on the fifth row is Charlie Klingman and his wife Clemmie. The Bishops and Klingmans worked together as missionaries in Tokyo, Japan.
photographic print, 20.5 x 27.5 cm.
Abilene Christian University Brown Library Milliken Special Collections; ACU Manuscripts; Ms 15 William and Clara Bishop Papers
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 License.