"Some of the Koishikawa Church members." A group photo of some members of the Koishikawa Church of Christ in front of their building. Third from the right is Yunosuke Hiratsuka, the minister of the congregation and one of the first indigenous workers for a cappella Churches of Christ in Japan. The Koishikawa congregation was started in 1887 by Eugene Snodgrass, a missionary from the then unified Churches of Christ/Disciples of Christ (the two denominations split in 1904 over missionary societies and the use of musical instruments in worship). Snodgrass handed the work over to William J. Bishop, a missionary from the a cappella Churches of Christ, in 1899.
photographic print, 10.75 x 15.25 cm.
Abilene Christian University Brown Library Milliken Special Collections; ACU Manuscripts; Ms 15 William and Clara Bishop Papers
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 4.0 License.