Title of Collection
Bethany College Collection
1811 - 1950
Scope and Content Note
Two wood blocks from support beams that originally were a part of Old Brush Run Church in Washington County Pennsylvania where "Bishop" Alexander Campbell preached (beams then had subsequent uses). Also there is a framed statement from H.E. Matheny detailing the origin and subsequent uses of the wood blocks. The blocks have a dark color from coal soot since it was used for a blacksmith shop in the years after the church (this is according to a note that came with the framed statement)
Old Brush Run Church is the place where Alexander Campbell preached his first sermon, March 10, 1811. It was later sold and moved, being made into a blacksmith shop and then in 1950 the framework was bought by Bethany College and moved to Bethany, W. Va.
Henry Brigman received these blocks from a friend who owned an antique business. His friend received them from a man who was a friend of the president of Bethany College (the final destination of the wood blocks).
The wood blocks and the statement were bubble wrapped and placed into an acid free box. One of the blocks was left in its original wrapping. The other block and the statement were opened and re-wrapped.
Brush Run Church
Extent of Collection
1.5 linear feet
Center for Restoration Studies
Bethany College, "Bethany College Collection" (2018). Center for Restoration Studies Archives, Manuscripts and Personal Papers Finding Aids. 599.
Closed to public research. Contact Milliken Special Collections for assistance
Finding Aid created by
H.E. Matheny, Alexander Campbell
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.