Title of Collection
White's Ferry Road School of Preaching Collection
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains documents from the White's Ferry Road School of Preaching (1950-1972) which includes syllabi, lesson plans, lecture manuscripts, sermons, polemics and apologetic materials. Materials included within this collection are exclusively textual. The function of this collection is teaching materials for classes at the school of preaching. The lion’s share of documents within this collection are either loosely exegetical or homiletic materials concerning the biblical text. A smaller portion of the collection is devoted to practical theological matters concerning the Churches of Christ as well as apologetic and polemic materials. The polemics contained within collection are relatively expansive in their critique of religious factions (included within this collection is everything from other Christian denominations to different religions). The most prolific contributors to this collection of texts include Ed Sanders, William H. Smith, Harold G. Taylor, and J.J. Turner. Other notable authors whose documents are included within this collection are J.D. Bales, L.V. Pfeifer, and Paul C. Witt.
White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching was founded in 1964 in West Monroe, Louisiana as part of a wave of schools of preaching founded in the 1960s in response to the lacuna that was preaching vacancies. The school was pietistic in its theological approach. The curriculum was heavily bibliocentric with, essentially, all of its documents explicitly or implicitly pertaining to the biblical text. White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching is no longer in existence, however, the latest documents within this collection date to 1972.
This collection remains in the order in which it was received. It appears that the composer of the collection arranged the subject matter by its relation to the Biblical canon along with supplemental Church material.
See finding aid for details
Churches of Christ -- Doctrines Churches of Christ -- History -- 20th century Churches of Christ -- Sermons Manuscripts Sermons
Extent of Collection
1.33 linear feet (1 box)
Center for Restoration Studies Manuscript #471
Center for Restoration Studies
[identification of item], File or Folder Name, White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching Collection, 1950-1972. Center for Restoration Studies MS#471. Milliken Special Collections, Brown Library. Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX.
Finding Aid created by
Bales, J.D.; Pfeifer, L.V.; Sanders, Ed; Smith, William H.; Taylor, Harold G.; Turner, J.J.; Witt, Paul C.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.